Saturday, October 21, 2006

LINGVA LATINA

My original plan was to start Classical Greek in November when I get back from Mazatlán. I thought it best to wait to commit so I wouldn't be sidetracked by vacation after just two weeks. I would start Latin in 2007. In all honesty, if I could only learn one, Greek would win hands down. But as it happens, I discovered Atrium Latin through the website for Wheelock's Latin, and when I saw that a class started a couple weeks earlier, I asked the moderator if it would be possible to join the fall/winter class, but I fully expected to be told it was too late, so I asked to be put on the late January waiting list. To my surprise, I was told I was more than welcome if I could catch up quickly. Having studied seven languages in college, three being Romance languages, I chose to catch up with the fall class.

C thought I could use some time to myself this weekend since E (our daughter) had skipped her nap three days straight. Now, a sane person might choose to take a bubble bath, meditate, or putz around in the garden. Me? I couldn't wait to dig into Latin. (It's a sickness, I know.) When C and E returned an hour later, I was just finishing up chapter 1, including making flash cards à la How to Learn Any Language (ironically, its author knows a billion languages - everything but Latin, against which he still holds a 9th-grade grudge). I submitted my responses to be collated, and with that, I have officially caught up with two weeks after an hour's work. I expect the following chapters to take more time and effort; nevertheless, I'm encouraged. At the leisurely pace of a chapter every two weeks, I can do this - I can fit this into my life, even being a SAHM to a pint-sized tornado.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just curious, what were the 7? a favorite?

chanale said...

They were Spanish, German, French, Japanese, Italian, Hebrew, and Yiddish. Some I took for just 1 or 2 semesters, but I minored in French Literature, so I'd have to say French was/is my favorite. I really wish I'd gone further with Yiddish though as it is much easier than Hebrew as far as vocabulary and spelling are concerned. :)